Friday, March 15, 2013

First Time Ice-Skating!

The girls were super excited to meet friends at the local ice-skating rink!


 As soon as I placed the ice-skates on Mac, she was ready to skate!  It really surprised me that she was able to jump up and begin walking without any hesitation!  Izzie refused to stand up in her skates.  She was trembling with fear!  I've never been ice-skating, but thought how hard could it really be?  So, I quickly laced up my ice-skates, stood up, then quickly realized there was no way I was going on the ice!  Someone had to drive us back home and there was no way I could do it with a broken arm, leg, and back!  Mac stood there looking up at me with a puzzled look...who's taking me on the ice?   Yes, it was going to be a long 2 hours at the ice-skating rink!

Mac walking in ice-skates! 

I was trying to come up with a quick plan.  I wasn't allowed on the ice without skates.  There was no way I was going on the ice with skates.  There was no way Mac could go on the ice by herself...or could she?  There were a lot of children skating/pushing buckets around my themselves, so I decided to "see" how Mac would do by herself, while pushing a bucket.  I placed the bucket on the ice, then I placed Mac on the ice and told her to hold on to the bucket and to go!  She was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!  She stayed out on the ice for the next two hours!   

 

 

  
After about an hour, Mac was pushing the bucket forward, then skating to it! 



By the end of the 2 hour period, she was completely skating by herself!
 

 Izzie was reluctant to try and patiently observed everyone else on the ice.  After about an hour and several words of encouragement, she decided she wanted to try, as long as some of the older girls would help her.  


Pushing the bucket was not the right solution for Izzie.  Her legs kept wanting to straddle the bucket, so eventually, the older girls put her in the middle and took her around the rink, which she LOVED! 


 

 I'm so happy that she decided to overcome her fear and give it a try!  She had the best time. 


Both girls didn't want to leave and were already asking when we could come back!  


Afterward, we warmed up with some ice-cream! 

1 comment:

Thanks for sharing your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...